2014 MathCounts AMC Preparation; How to Excel at Middle School Math Competiti

[复制链接]

主题

帖子

积分

会员

积分
发表于 2014-1-6 19:17:08 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
MathCounts is the most well known middle school math competition. This year my son will participate for the first time. Both of us are really excited. In order to prepare him I bought all available books on this subject. After reviewing them I did not find any satisfactory book, so I end up writing my own book.
I firmly believe that if a student decides to participate, he/she must prepare well and win. There are too many students who are good at math but winning requires techniques and test-taking skills besides content knowledge. I have seen so many students who can solve every problem in a contest, but most of them can not win because they can only do what their teachers taught them. Math problem-solving requires skills and sophistication, which is lacking among middle school students because they are just started in this endeavor.
In my book, MathCounts Preparation: How to Excel at Middle School Math Competitions, I start with mental skills and speed calculation. In later chapters I proceed to cover all subjects that are tested in any middle school math competitions. Many student can not finish all the questions due to time constraint. They spend too much time in calculation. That is why mental skills are important to them. In order to win, one not only needs to know how to solve, but also needs to know the fastest way to solve problems.
I have put two PDF files on my website for any one who are interested to review and see what is inside the book.
http://www.jacksonareamath.com/preview.html
Most of the examples are modeled from MathCounts real tests. Five practice tests are given with their full solutions.
I would like everyone's opion.
This book is avialable on my site as well as on Amazon's site: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1628907258/
I hope this book will be helpful to stundents as well as parents who are helping them.

Huasong Yin
About the Author: Dr. Huasong Yin is currently a faculty member at Lane College, Jackson, TN. He received his Ph. D degree in mathematics from the University of Georgia and his Masters degree from Wuhan University. In his spare time he enjoys computer programming and playing GO.
This book starts with number sense and mental techniques that every math contestant should know and proceeds to cover the foundamental skills within the middle school standard curriculum. This book is written by a true professional who knows what it takes to win math competitions. Mental skills and visualization techniques are emphasized rather than memorizing formulas or special numbers. Throughout the book examples of all levels are worked out. Five practice tests and their corresponding solutions are included at the end of the book.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

会员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2014-1-6 19:18:45 | 显示全部楼层
By the way, I am so confident that this book will help your kids prepare for MathCounts that I accept any return with no condition. I will refund the full payment plus the return postage. Satisfaction is guaranteed.
回复

使用道具 举报

匿名  发表于 2014-1-6 21:39:34
How to contact you?
回复

使用道具

主题

帖子

积分

会员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2014-1-6 21:48:40 | 显示全部楼层

回 2楼(游客) 的帖子

You can email bookworm_yin@yahoo.com
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

会员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2014-1-6 22:27:38 | 显示全部楼层

回 4楼(求道) 的帖子

FeiJun,
Thanks. You can just email me your address and I will mail you a few copies so that you can give them to your firends who have kids preparing these tests. It will help me a lot to let people know about this book.
Apologize that my chinese/pinyin typing is too bad and I need my wife's help in typing chinese characters.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|小黑屋|Atlanta168.com

GMT-5, 2024-5-3 23:52 , Processed in 0.098955 second(s), 18 queries .