主题

帖子

积分

版主

积分

社区居民

楼主| 发表于 2011-3-30 13:09:01 | 显示全部楼层
引用第5楼老郭于2011-03-29 22:55发表的  :
对了,我记得藤校哥伦比亚大学来电话要我孩子去他们学校 。我说Vanderbilt 大学给4万,你们能match多少,回答说给6千元。 这样当然我们要去4万的啦。
你孩子选的什么专业?给奖学金是否跟选的专业也有关?
据说读医学的奖学金就很少?
回复

使用道具 举报

匿名  发表于 2011-3-30 13:31:48
引用第13楼rocky于2011-03-30 13:09发表的  :

你孩子选的什么专业?给奖学金是否跟选的专业也有关?
据说读医学的奖学金就很少?
Undergraduate 没有医学专业。
回复

使用道具

匿名  发表于 2011-3-30 14:55:15
引用第12楼rocky于2011-03-30 13:06发表的  :

这个太好了,我就喜欢和家庭收入无关的奖学金。
老中们辛苦赚些钱,还不如人家吃光喝光做穷人来的实惠,太不公平了。
小孩子要怎样的条件,人家才会给和家庭收入无关的奖学金啊?

小孩子条件不好说,当爹的得被核辐射照过。
回复

使用道具

主题

帖子

积分

版主

积分

社区居民

楼主| 发表于 2011-3-30 22:08:01 | 显示全部楼层
引用第14楼游客于2011-03-30 13:31发表的  :

Undergraduate 没有医学专业。  
哦,对了,本科是选化学或者生物专业吧。
进入医学专业课后,还有什么奖学金/助学金吗?
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

管理员

积分

社区居民

发表于 2011-4-1 19:31:01 | 显示全部楼层
下面是我孩子的信,讲为什么,怎样,如何得到全额奖学金。我读了一遍,我强力推荐给高中生们读一读:As a high school senior, I knew I was interested in Vanderbilt. When I heard of the Lanier Scholarship, which gives its recipient a full-tuition grant, I immediately decided to apply. At the time I applied, the supplemental application for the Lanier Scholarship asked for two additional essays: an academic interest statement, asking for my academic passions, and a “Why Vanderbilt?” essay. I approached both essays with as an opportunity to explain why Vanderbilt was a great fit for me, with the hope of persuading Vanderbilt that I would be a good addition to their class. I wrote about academic interests of mine that Vanderbilt has particularly strong departments in; for example, Vanderbilt has a fantastic Spanish department, and is known for being a good pre-medical school. I also quizzed my friends who attended Vanderbilt on what made it unique. For example, if you like country music, the fact that Vanderbilt is located in Nashville is a great plus! There are also quirkier aspects of Vanderbilt that I referred to specifically; for example, the campus is a designated national aboretum (which is home to many, many squirrels!). And people always dress up to go to football games, which I found rather charming.
    After I submitted my application, I waited to hear back about an interview. I was one of about nine semi-finalists selected for an interview, which took place downtown, at a law firm office. I bought my very first suit for this interview, and prepared for a week, downloading every sample question I could find and trying to think about all of them. I tried to think about the most interesting stories from the activities I had done (often, you don’t think things are a big deal when they happen, but on reflection, you realize it was an important learning experience for you). I also thought about what qualities about myself I wanted to get across, for example, intellectual curiosity, and tried to make sure that the stories I thought of exemplified those qualities. I also thought a bit more about what I would get involved in at Vanderbilt. I spent a lot of time on the student organization pages on the Vanderbilt website and talking to my friends again about what kinds of extracurricular opportunities there were, and what sounded interesting and made sense for me to get involved in based on my past background. At the same time, I tried not to write out answers to anything so that during the interview I would still sound natural and not rehearsed. I just wanted to have a mental list of events, moments, and thoughtful responses to hypothetical situations to draw on during the interview, so that I would never just draw a blank.
    Finally, on interview day, I showed up at the law firm. An aide ushered me into the interview room, which was a huge conference room filled with people. I can’ remember how many, but there were at least six people, some representing Vanderbilt and others representing the Lanier foundation, sitting around the enormous table, with me at the end! It was extremely intimidating, but I tried to hold on to things I had thought about in my interview preparation process. The interviewers were all very nice, though, and complimented my essays. They mostly asked questions that were specific to my resume (for example, I had worked on the student paper, and they asked me what the controversial issue we had covered was). I had actually brought a sample newspaper to show them in a folder, and they asked me briefly about the folder, but I was so nervous I completely forgot I had planned to show them the paper! But in the end, I tried as best I could to smile and answer their questions. And whatever happened, it worked --- I found out a few weeks later by mail that I was chosen to receive the scholarship.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

版主

积分

社区居民

楼主| 发表于 2011-4-2 13:25:26 | 显示全部楼层
太好了,老郭太给力了。
你孩子也真争气啊,省了不少钱啊。
这种NON-NEED BASE的奖学金竞争看来很激烈的啊,要让儿子多努力了。
对了,你孩子是什么特长,除了SAT成绩之外,他们还看什么?
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|小黑屋|Atlanta168.com

GMT-5, 2024-4-27 20:21 , Processed in 0.093914 second(s), 17 queries .