飞鱼 发表于 2020-11-29 20:47:47

Whose truth and whose tradition?

Dear Editor,
Today I found a newspaper in my mailbox entitled ‘The Epoch Times: Truth and Tradition’. (The word epoch means the beginning of a distinctive period in the history of someone or something).
Being unfamiliar with this publication and having a background in research and teaching I decided to find out who they were.
During my digging I discovered that this publication had been researched by American news sources two years ago (NBC) and that this paper has existed for two decades in the United States.
It is dedicated to “truth and tradition” but at this time I ask – whose truth and whose tradition?
While reading through this newspaper that someone left in my mailbox, I discerned that it was a very ultra-conservative, American-based news source.
It is filled with anti-science, anti-China, anti-government and it pushes an agenda of very conservative and frighteningly narrow-minded perspectives.
I have no problem with conservative ideals but this paper espouses radical views with their roots in conservative ideals.
Canada is an inclusive and multi-cultural, multi-faith country where I am proud and honoured to live.
Numerous articles in The Epoch Times denounce scientific decisions on the pandemic, raise doubt about how pension monies are spent in Canada, and question the fact that women no longer are recipients of chivalry from men.
This newspaper has roots in Falun Gong, a new religious movement out of China that discredits the Chinese government and supports the conservative right in the USA, including Mr. Trump.
I believe in freedom of speech. But the rights of others and the freedoms of speech end when they infringe on my rights and the freedoms fought by previous generations.
The democratic rights in Canada and the rights of women and all minorities were hard fought and are deeply valued by most Canadians.
I fear that the recent “freedom rallies” and papers such as this indicate an insidious presence that could poison our democratic freedoms.
It is always wise to be informed and to see both sides of an issue so I’m glad I received this newspaper because it has alerted me that dangerous ideologies that cause division in a society still exist.
History teaches us that we must always be careful to not be the bystander when something insidious or threatening arises.
“First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out – because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the communists and I did not speak out – because I was not a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.” – Pastor Niemoeller.
Regards,
L.M. McHugh
Goderich
页: [1]
查看完整版本: Whose truth and whose tradition?